Tuesday 6 October 2015

Making A Good First Impression: Start With A Smile


When I began university in September, I felt fairly comfortable that it would not be long before I met some great new people and formed fantastic new friendships, because having moved schools a few more times than most, I am quite used to introducing myself to new people, and feel relaxed meeting individuals for the first time; these situations are never normally uncomfortable for me.
 
However, during my first few weeks here, it became apparent to me that not everybody is lucky enough to have the confidence I have when introducing myself and forging friendships. Often it seems when we are put into a new situation that requires us to meet new people, or talk to somebody we do not know, we find ourselves feeling uncomfortable and unable to convey our thoughts and feelings in a way that our counterpart will understand, simply because it is difficult forming a relationship so instantaneously.
 
Personally, I believe that the only logical place to start, is with a smile. A smile is a universal symbol of happiness, warmth, and invitation. A smile, much like exercise, triggers the release of endorphins, which in turn, makes you feel happier, conveying the positive impression of happiness to you peers - everyone wants to be around happy positive people.
 
Smiling also brings many health benefits, such as reducing anxiety, which really aids you if you become nervous when meeting new people. Trust me, smiling will make you feel a little more at ease in a stressful situation. Furthermore, smiling has been scientifically proven to lower your blood pressure - and who doesn’t want that? Lastly, smiling is contagious. It’s true what they say, ‘Smile and the whole world smiles with you’; your smile makes others smile too, as mirror neurons in your brain subconsciously urge you to reciprocate the expression when somebody else smiles, and just like that, you have a room full of bright, happy, engaging individuals.

I know that every smile I cracked as I introduced myself helped give a positive and balanced first impression of myself, and that the friends I have made so far felt the benefit of that. Smiling will help you in any new situation, be it going for an interview, starting a new job, or any of your daily interactions with other human beings. Try it next time you interact with a sales assistant who seems a little moody, or a bus driver who’s on the night shift. You never know, you might just transform somebody’s day.

Paige John

No comments:

Post a Comment