Tuesday 20 October 2015

Absolute Dental goes to Cambodia!


In February I will be travelling to Cambodia with the charity Dentaid as part of a dental team to provide much-needed dental care and education.
 
I am really looking forward to my trip, but I am aware that it will be like nothing I have experienced before. I will only meet my fellow volunteers just before we leave for Cambodia, and during my time there I will be living with a local family and experiencing life as they do.
 
The dental clinics we will be working in will be so very different to the facilities I am lucky enough to have at Absolute Dental, but this is one of the reasons I am going! Although the facilities will be very different, I hope that the knowledge and expertise we take over there, will really make a difference to the communities we will be working in. If we can make a lasting difference to just one family whilst there, I will feel my trip will have been worthwhile. Stories from previous volunteers fill me with pride in my profession as a dental nurse, and I can't wait to be part of such a potentially life changing mission - for all involved!
 
As Dentaid is a charity, we as volunteers have to fund ourselves regarding travel costs and admin fees, and therefore I have been very busy thinking of ways in which I can raise these vital funds.
 
I have a sponsor form in the practice, and our patients have been very generous so far, and for this I am very grateful, but there is still a long way to go.

To help raise funds for this mission I will be hosting a pub quiz night on Monday 21st December at the Creeks End in Kingsbridge, (huge thanks to Terry and his team for letting me take over the pub!)this quiz will start at 7.30pm, teams of up to 4 people, £5 entry per team. Please come along for a fun evening with some lovely prizes (again, HUGE thanks to Terry for these too!)! 

In addition I will also be holding a sponsored coastal walk in January (winter storms permitting!); we plan to walk from Salcombe around to Bantham and hope that we can get sponsorship before we go, and maybe even along the way! The date for this is yet to be confirmed.

And finally Absolute dental will be holding a bake sale on Friday 23rd October - come in and enjoy a slice of homemade cake and a cup of coffee - all proceeds will be going towards Dentaid.
 

Carys

No comments:

Post a Comment