Monday 6 July 2009


With news of Hatty passing her National Certificate in Dental Nursing hot off the press this morning, I feel in high spirits – a fitting end to a fortnight of challenges (and hopefully triumphs!) for me.

On June 23rd, I accompanied Emma to an event organised by College Street Dental in Petersfield, where she had been invited as the guest speaker for an evening event. The assembled group represented all areas of the dental team and we were asked to speak to them on the importance of the patient journey.

Whilst Emma concentrated on one of her many areas of expertise – the front desk team – I spoke from the dental nurses point of view, describing for the group my perception of what both good and bad dental nursing look like, and how the dental nurse plays a vital role within the dental team, and what attributes a dental nurse in a modern, forward thinking dental practise needs to demonstrate.

My emphasis was for the dental nurses to consider their actions from the patients’ perspective, emphasising continuity from the front desk team and helping to raise the profile of the dental nurse in the patient’s mind. Knowing that we were presenting to a group that consisted of dentists, hygienists, nurses practice managers and sales representatives was very daunting for me – to say the least!!!
Emma has a background of speaking nationally to large groups of professionals – whereas I don’t – yet!! But the group were very receptive – even if it was 6.30pm on one of the hottest days of the year so far!! More to the point – I really enjoyed it! I enjoyed being able to offer some practical advice that I hope enabled those present to improve the way in which they work to the benefit of the patient, and also to enable them to get more satisfaction from their role.
Hot on the heels of the Petersfield presentation, we were back in Devon and presenting to the Plymouth DCP group on Saturday morning to a dedicated (and they must be dedicated – devoting a Saturday morning to CPD!!) group of mainly dental nurses. The presentation had been tailored to suit our briefing for the group and was titled “Dental Care Professionals – Why First Impressions Really Do Count”.

Again, Emma looked at this from a front desk/practice managers point of view, and I emphasised the dental nurses role. Still daunted by this large group, but encouraged by the sight of a few familiar faces in the audience, I began to relax and enjoy this presentation a little bit more. This time I had the knowledge of one success under my belt and I knew I needed to build on it, and the feedback received suggests we did just that.

I read in a magazine this week an excellent quote from a sports psychologist at Cardiff Metropolitan University; at first I only thought of applying it to my training for the 10k, but then I realised that it applies to so many other things in my life at the moment:

“If you’re feeling lethargic, weak or sick before a big event, challenge yourself to quit – this strategy transforms anxiety into anger. Imagine how you’d feel having thrown away all that training and this chance to prove yourself, and you’ll savour the challenge ahead” Sheldon Hanton

So, my final thought for this blog is to do something each day that scares you – the rewards can be amazing!

1 comment:

  1. This blog gives so many examples of a team really coming together, pushing themselves and achieving.I am really proud of them all, the ones both mentioned and the ones not mentioned but vitally important as they hold it all together throughout

    ReplyDelete