Monday 20 April 2009


Emma, Denise, Fliss and Me



Todays Blog is written by Diane




Race For Life
Here at Absolute Dental, we have a grand tradition of doing our bit for charity, and this year is no exception.

On May 10th this year, I shall be joining several hundreds of other women and girls to take part in the Race for Life in aid of Cancer Research - a worthwhile charity, close to my heart.

Now, I’m not what you might call a natural runner – in fact I have said on many occasions that I’m not built for anything above a brisk walk!! So, I’ve had to put in a fair bit of training for the event. I’ve taken part in the Race for Life before, but this year I set myself the goal of running the full 5k, rather than the bizarre combination of energy sapping jogging, walking & running that I usually manage!

I have enlisted the help of my husband as my training partner, however, he is much fitter than I am and looks at me in complete bewilderment when I turn a funny shade of purple and plead with him for a rest after 20 minutes of what he call “gentle jogging” – although I have my own description for it!

Having been elevated to the status of “training partner”, Nick (my long-suffering husband) has become the expert on all things running and simply can’t understand why, if I am capable of walking 26.2 miles (as us Absolute girls did in the Moonwalk through London last year), I am not able to run just 5 miles…………………. I have proved to him on several occasions that I can’t though!!

However, I am not one to give up, and so, 3 times a week, come rain, shine or lack of enthusiasm, we hit the streets of Kingsbridge (only the quiet ones though as I’m not sure the world is ready to see my purple face and such a huge expanse of lycra just yet!), and we try to run a little bit further, and a little bit faster each time.
I’m estimating that when I can comfortably run for 45 minutes, I will be “race fit”. This is a little way of yet, but I’m confident that it is achievable, and that with lots of effort and determination I will achieve my goal. Who knows, this could be the emergence of “Di the Runner” and my blog this time next year might be about my preparation for the London Marathon……………… To be cont.

No comments:

Post a Comment